Skip to main content
All CollectionsTax Knowledge (Guides and FAQs)Preparing to FileFAQs
How do I get my W-2s, 1098s, and/or 1099s via the IRS?
How do I get my W-2s, 1098s, and/or 1099s via the IRS?
Updated over a week ago

This article was updated for Tax Year 2023, last edited on December 18th, 2023.

While ideally you should have received your W-2s, 1098s, and/or 1099’s from the appropriate sources by mid to late February, you can also try to get copies of these forms from the IRS. For every W-2, 1098, or 1099 that’s been generated for you by the appropriate source, one copy of it has to be sent to the IRS.

Using Form 4852

If it’s past the date when your payer/employer should have issued your W-2s, 1098s, and/or 1099’s, and you still haven’t received a copy of these forms from them, you can follow the directions for Form 4852 to request this documentation. This form includes instructions for how you can call the IRS directly and request assistance in receiving your forms and, if needed, you can potentially use Form 4852 as a substitute for those forms in order to file your taxes on time.

Requesting a Transcript via the IRS Website

You can also get transcripts of these income documents by requesting a wage and income transcript from the IRS. Please keep in mind that the transcript is limited to 85 documents and may not be available until after the standard filing deadline of April 15th.

Note: If you do not have this documentation or information by the filing deadline, you may want to file an extension.

If you end up using the transcript route, there may be a message that says "No Record of Return filed.” This means information has not yet populated to the transcript and you may need to check back later to see if that information has populated. The IRS generally recommends checking back in late May.

Also, depending on the type of transcript you request, the transcripts may only show federal information and key information such as EIN numbers or even some addresses may be redacted. In order to get the full information, make sure to request “preparer transcripts.”

If you're unable to obtain the IRS transcripts online and are having trouble with obtaining the paper version, the next best option is usually to contact the IRS directly.

This content is provided for informational purposes only and should not be construed as tax, legal, financial, accounting, or other advice. Rules and regulations vary by location and are subject to change, so please consult with an expert if you need advice specific to you.

Any third-party links are provided for informational purposes only. The third parties and their sites are not endorsed by April and April is not responsible for, and has no control over, their content, privacy policies, or terms of service.

Did this answer your question?