How do I file an extension?

If you believe you can't meet the federal tax return filing deadline, you can file an extension with the IRS.

Updated over a week ago

This article was updated for Tax Year 2023, last edited on December 20th, 2023.

At this time, april is not supporting filing extensions through our filer. However, an extension can be filed with the IRS directly. We’ve included some basic information to help you.

If you file an extension with the IRS, it is an extension of time to file your return, not an extension of time to pay. Filing an extension may help you avoid a late filing penalty.

Per the IRS, there are three ways to request an extension of time to file:

  1. Pay all or part of your estimated income tax due and indicate that the payment is for an extension using IRS Direct Pay, EFTPS: The Electronic Federal Tax Payment System, or a debit or credit card.

  2. E-file Form 4868 using your personal computer.

  3. File a paper Form 4868.

The extension needs to be filed by the tax due date. To get the extension, you must estimate your tax liability on the Form 4868 and should also pay any amount due. Typically, filing an extension gives you until October 15 to file a return.

What if I’m outside of the U.S.?

According to the IRS, you generally are permitted two additional months (usually until June 15) to file your return and pay any taxes due without requesting an extension if: (a) you're a U.S. citizen or resident alien; and (b) on the regular due date for your tax return you're either:

  • Living outside of the U.S. and Puerto Rico, and your principal place of business or post of duty is outside of the U.S. and Puerto Rico, or

  • In military or naval service on duty outside of the U.S. and Puerto Rico.

Special rules may apply if you are:

Note: If you need to file an extension with the IRS, you may also need to file an extension at the state level. Refer here for more information on how to contact your state.

This content is provided for informational purposes only and should not be construed as tax, legal, financial, accounting, or other advice. Rules and regulations vary by location and are subject to change, so please consult with an expert if you need advice specific to you.

Any third-party links are provided for informational purposes only. The third parties and their sites are not endorsed by April and April is not responsible for, and has no control over, their content, privacy policies, or terms of service.

Did this answer your question?